Ten O'Clock News; Kelly sues BHA
David Boeri reports that Boston City Councilor James Kelly along with City Councilor Dapper O'Neil, and white public housing tenants walks to the courthouse to file a suit against the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to stop the federal plan aimed at ending the city of Boston's discriminatory public housing policies. The federal plan mandates a citywide waiting list for public housing, on which the position of white tenants has now dropped. Boeri reports on the housing situations of Pamela Walsh (plaintiff) and William Katramados. Boeri notes that both are on the waiting list for public housing and their positions on the waiting list have dropped. Interview with Walsh and Katramados. Boeri's report is accompanied by footage of Walsh with her two children in temporary housing and by footage of the Katramados family's overcrowded apartment. Kelly, at a press conference, says that the federal plan gives minority applicants preference. He adds that white tenants are being denied housing on the basis of their race. Boeri reports that Kelly has been unable to find a law firm to take the case.
- Ten O'Clock News
Kelly sues BHA
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Press conferences
- United States. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development
- O'Neil, Albert L., 1920-2007
- Actions and defenses
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- Public housing
- Race relations
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Kelly sues BHA,” 08/03/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 17, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AFB7C520A86D4C20963E766FE7DF6DE1.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Kelly sues BHA.” 08/03/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 17, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AFB7C520A86D4C20963E766FE7DF6DE1>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Kelly sues BHA. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AFB7C520A86D4C20963E766FE7DF6DE1