Ten O'Clock News; Appeal for Parcel 18
David Boeri reports that African American community leaders and city officials have proposed to build the new headquarters of the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) in Roxbury. The MWRA headquarters would be the cornerstone in a project to develop Parcel 18, located near the Ruggles MBTA station. At a press conference with city officials and African American leaders, Charles Stith (Union United Methodist Church), Bruce Bolling (Boston City Council), mayor Ray Flynn, Harold Hestnes (member of "The Vault"), and James Kelly (Boston City Council) all speak out in favor of Parcel 18. The Massachusetts State Legislature is also considering the city of Quincy for the MWRA site. African American leaders are asking state legislators to show their support for the African American community by choosing Parcel 18. State Sen. Paul Harold speaks to the media and says that Quincy is the right place for the MWRA headquarters. At a press conference Paul Levy of the MWRA says that the MWRA site does not have to be in Quincy.
- Ten O'Clock News
Appeal for Parcel 18
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- City planning
- Press conferences
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- Quincy (Mass.)
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007 (Speaker)
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Speaker)
- Boeri, David (Reporter)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Appeal for Parcel 18,” 07/07/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AE6EF08B29534280BAF0EA4E4E6217B5.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Appeal for Parcel 18.” 07/07/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AE6EF08B29534280BAF0EA4E4E6217B5>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Appeal for Parcel 18. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AE6EF08B29534280BAF0EA4E4E6217B5