Ten O'Clock News; Vote to oust Silber
People leaving meeting at Boston University. Interview with Howard Zinn on vote to remove John Silber as BU president. Zinn says acts of conscience and criticism of administration result in retribution. He calls for a change in the situation at BU. Interview with John Silber, who says BU is a place of debate and academic freedom without repression. Faculty assembly votes (456 to 215) to ask Board of Trustees to dismiss Silber. Press conference held by psychology professor Joe Speisman, who speaks on behalf of faculty. Other professors, student leader Maureen Sultzer, and District 65 labor union representative Carol Yorman speak about their support of the vote to remove Silber from office and other related matters.
- Ten O'Clock News
Vote to oust Silber
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Boston University
- Universities and colleges
- Labor unions
- Zinn, Howard, 1922-2010
- Silber, John, 1926-
- Press conferences
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Silber, John, 1926- (Interviewee)
- Zinn, Howard, 1922-2010 (Interviewee)
- Husock, Howard (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Vote to oust Silber,” 12/18/1979, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 8, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ADCD731CAF9F472BBF7E3CF9A8041D81.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Vote to oust Silber.” 12/18/1979. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 8, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ADCD731CAF9F472BBF7E3CF9A8041D81>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Vote to oust Silber. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ADCD731CAF9F472BBF7E3CF9A8041D81