Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Sand Shaded Clock
APT HD Master Clock with McGraw Milhaven and a road trip to the American Wing at the MET with guest Peter Kenny
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac
- Sand Shaded Clock
- Program Number
- Series Description
ROUGH CUT - WOODWORKING WITH TOMMY MAC invites viewers into the world of respected furniture maker Tommy MacDonald, as he travels to historic landmarks to gain design inspiration and then returns to his workshop to demonstrate the steps and techniques needed to create future family heirlooms. In each episode, MacDonald shares his skills and best practices, providing detailed project instructions for anyone interested in learning the basics of the craft. For the more experienced enthusiast, Tommy also showcases his more complex projects with advanced tips and techniques. Each half-hour includes three segments: "Basic Woodworking Techniques," "Weekend Projects" and "The Field Trip."
Rough Cut – Woodworking with Tommy Mac is produced by WGBH Boston and distributed by American Public Television. Series release date: 10/2/2010
- Program Description
Sand Shaded Clock – Episode 11
On this installment of Rough Cut, Tommy takes a look at the art of sand shading, a technique dating back to the ancient Egyptians. He demonstrates how this art form can be uniquely applied to his Sand Shaded Clock project. For the Rough Cut Road Trip, Tommy heads to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, which houses some beautiful examples of sand shading made by John and Thomas Seymour. Back in the shop, Tommy is joined by St. Louis radio personality McGraw Milhaven.
Resources: Lathe Drill Router Turning Tools Compass Hot Plate Marking Knife Clamps
Field Trip: Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Donnelly, Laurie (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Sand Shaded Clock,” 10/20/2011, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ADBDAC239C3D4751B3FFA18FAB41712A.
- MLA: “Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Sand Shaded Clock.” 10/20/2011. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ADBDAC239C3D4751B3FFA18FAB41712A>.
- APA: Rough Cut- Woodworking With Tommy Mac; Sand Shaded Clock. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ADBDAC239C3D4751B3FFA18FAB41712A