Ten O'Clock News; MLK, pacifism and the Persian Gulf
Story opens with clips of civilians commenting on near possibility of war. Clip of Martin Luther King Jr. giving a sermon. Boston University Martin Luther King Professor of Ethics John Cartwright recalls Martin Luther King's legacy of non violence and pacifism. Cartwright explains the sad irony of imminent Persian Gulf war on King's birthday. Clip of King speaking about Vienam on April 15, 1967 at anti-Vietnam War march in New York City. Brief clip of King speaking at different rally. Ends with Cartwright talking about discussion of war through the context of King's work.
- Ten O'Clock News
MLK, pacifism and the Persian Gulf
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Persian Gulf War, 1991
- Peace movements
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; MLK, pacifism and the Persian Gulf,” 01/15/1991, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ADA25984B9B34485898AC8BB5EA25239.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; MLK, pacifism and the Persian Gulf.” 01/15/1991. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ADA25984B9B34485898AC8BB5EA25239>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; MLK, pacifism and the Persian Gulf. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_ADA25984B9B34485898AC8BB5EA25239