Ten O'Clock News; Deputy Supt. William Celester
Marcus Jones compares the differing opinions on law enforcement of Deputy Superintendent of Boston Police William Celester and Reverend Graylan Hagler of the Church of the United Community. Interview with Celester, who says that the police are at war with drug addicts and gang members in the neighborhood, and that some of these individuals need to be scared of police. Celester says that police officers are not well equipped to serve as mentors. Jones reports that Hagler and others believe that a new approach is necessary. Hagler recommends that police academy graduates serve as mentors to community youth. Jones' report includes footage of Hagler talking about his plan from December 15, 1989. Hagler and his supporters see prevention as an effective weapon against drugs and violence. Following the edited story is b-roll of Celester and police officers at police headquarters.
- Ten O'Clock News
Deputy Supt. William Celester
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Drug control
- Drug traffic
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- Arrest (Police methods)
- African American religious leaders
- Celester, William R.
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954-
- Law enforcement
- News Report
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954- (Speaker)
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Celester, William R. (Interviewee)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Deputy Supt. William Celester,” 01/02/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed May 25, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AAFB9DA8B2E34D9FAC01AC1FD24B2F08.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Deputy Supt. William Celester.” 01/02/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. May 25, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AAFB9DA8B2E34D9FAC01AC1FD24B2F08>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Deputy Supt. William Celester. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AAFB9DA8B2E34D9FAC01AC1FD24B2F08