New Television; New Television, Episode 309; I Do Not Know What It Is that I Am Like
Part of New Television Workshop.
"I Do Not Know What It Is that I Am Like" juxtaposes images of animals, both wild and domestic, and natural environments with human activity as it takes place in an apartment, and during a fire walking ceremony in Fiji. Documentary-style footage is combined with staged events. Despite the piece's lack of a traditional narrative, it bears some relationship to nature works. The segment features material from "Il Corpo Scuro (The dark body)" - animals and natural environments are seen up close and at a distance. Approximate date: 1986
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 309
- Program Number
I Do Not Know What It Is that I Am Like
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Features Bill Viola’s “I Do Not Know What It Is that I Am Like.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Experimental films
- Video art
- Natural areas
- Rites and ceremonies
- Viola, Bill, 1951-
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 309; I Do Not Know What It Is that I Am Like,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AADB0A000C9B46B8BBE37EBB3801B601.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 309; I Do Not Know What It Is that I Am Like.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AADB0A000C9B46B8BBE37EBB3801B601>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 309; I Do Not Know What It Is that I Am Like. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AADB0A000C9B46B8BBE37EBB3801B601