Ten O'Clock News; Laval Wilson's frustration
Marcus Jones reports that superintendent Laval Wilson is frustrated because the Boston School Committee has twice rejected his proposal to consolidate Boston high schools. Interviews with School Committee members John Nucci, Joseph Casper and John O'Bryant. Nucci says that Wilson is frustrated by a lack of support from some members of the Committee. Casper accuses the minority members of the School Committee of causing trouble for Wilson. O'Bryant resents Casper's accusations that the minority members of the Committee vote in a bloc. Jones notes that some critics accuse the committee of focusing too much on the daily operations of the schools and not enough on educational policy. Interview with City Councilor Michael McCormack. O'Bryant and Casper differ on how much parental participation they think should be encouraged by Wilson and the School Committee. A spokesperson for Wilson says that Wilson has no intention of leaving his post. Footage of a Boston School Committee meeting.
- Ten O'Clock News
Laval Wilson's frustration
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School superintendents
- School boards
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- School management and organization
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Laval Wilson's frustration,” 01/21/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 20, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AAAA1B874F97492AA661874BB70BBCAB.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Laval Wilson's frustration.” 01/21/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 20, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AAAA1B874F97492AA661874BB70BBCAB>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Laval Wilson's frustration. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AAAA1B874F97492AA661874BB70BBCAB