La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Francisco Goldman
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Francisco Goldman
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Stavans speaks with Francisco Goldman (The Ordinary Seaman) about his new book, The Divine Husband. Born in Boston to a Catholic Guatemalan mother and Jewish father, Goldman grew up spending summers in Guatemala and learning to speak Spanish before English. His first book, The Long Night of White Chickens, is based on his experiences living in Guatemala during the political turmoil of the late-1970s and early ‘80s.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Francisco Goldman,” 02/24/2004, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AA9F75C4FDF5459BBB28D902103B32CB.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Francisco Goldman.” 02/24/2004. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AA9F75C4FDF5459BBB28D902103B32CB>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Francisco Goldman. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AA9F75C4FDF5459BBB28D902103B32CB