Antiques VIII; MECHANICAL BANKS
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Antiques VIII
- MECHANICAL BANKS
- Program Number
- Series Description
Produced by New Hampshire Network out of WENH-TV in Durham, New Hampshire for distribution on the Eastern Educational Network (EEN). Series VIII was broadcast in 1973.
Antiques with host George Michael returns in full color with a new set, but with the same familiar attention to detail and precision in showing and giving the history of the pieces and collections featured. The new set features a period room that viewers will become familiar with over the 26 episode series.
George Michael was an antique dealer, collector, auctioneer, lecturer and author. His books include: “Antiquing With George Michael,” “The Treasury of New England Antiques,” and “Treasury of Federal Antiques.” Series release date: 1973
- Program Description
Mr. Hubert Whiting of Wakefield, Massachusetts, bring to Antiques a wide collection of mechanical banks, all gaily colored and in working condition. Among the banks demonstrated on this program are a “kicking Cow,” a boy scout camp ban, a merry-go-round, a “Boston Buggy” that upset itself when the mule is scared, a “Calamity” bank, featuring three football players, and an Uncle Sam bank, featuring the famous Uncle Sam figure dropping the money into a carpet bag. One very rare bank in Mr. Whiting’s collection is a “Cat and Mouse” bank, designed on the idea of the Great Wall of China. The bank is of particular interest because it is made of lead rather than cast iron, and has a wooden base.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Antiques and Collectibles
- New Hampshire Network (Series Producer)
- Hotaling, Al (Series Producer)
- Michael, George (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Antiques VIII; MECHANICAL BANKS,” 08/09/1973, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 26, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AA369977DDFA4275AF8BE6DC58ED7D21.
- MLA: “Antiques VIII; MECHANICAL BANKS.” 08/09/1973. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 26, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AA369977DDFA4275AF8BE6DC58ED7D21>.
- APA: Antiques VIII; MECHANICAL BANKS. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_AA369977DDFA4275AF8BE6DC58ED7D21