Ten O'Clock News; Wynegar on end of receivership
South Boston High School headmaster Jerome Wynegar interviewed on end of federal receivership of his school. Calmly says he seldom encounters overt hostility. He expects no substantial change in programs and attitudes now that jurisdictional control has reverted to the city. Exteriors of South Boston Highs School, and shots of Wynegar outside the school. Several takes of the reporter standup. A very bitter and angry Robert Lunnin, member of the South Boston Marshals and the South Boston Information Center, interrupts reporter standup. Lunnin says Wynegar lies, exaggerates attendance; that resistance to forced busing comes from both students and parents; that desegregation will never work “especially with the housing situation” (referring to effort to integrate blacks into public housing). He vehemently pronounces “forced busing.”
- Ten O'Clock News
Wynegar on end of receivership
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Public housing
- Garrity, W. Arthur (Wendell Arthur), 1920-1999
- African American students
- Busing for school integration
- Race relations
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Schechter, Danny (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Wynegar on end of receivership,” 08/30/1978, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A8EC75377D994A8AB52525DFB2FE1C6E.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Wynegar on end of receivership.” 08/30/1978. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A8EC75377D994A8AB52525DFB2FE1C6E>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Wynegar on end of receivership. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A8EC75377D994A8AB52525DFB2FE1C6E