Martha Speaks; Martha Speaks; Martha Gives Advice
MSPE 101 (HD) Media Operations Center PBS 3367
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- Martha Speaks; Martha Gives Advice
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
Martha Speaks When Martha eats alphabet soup, the letters go to her brain and she develops the ability to talk. And boy, does she talk. After her family complains that she talks too much, she clams up and stops eating her soup. Then a cat burglar breaks into her house, and Martha finds herself speechless. Can she get help in time? Based on the book of the same name.
Vocabulary: (E) express, discuss, mumble, exclaim, shout
(I) speak, jabber, talk, whisper, communicate
Martha Gives Advice Martha Gives Advice Helen's cousin Carolina is a little bit older but a lot more fashion-conscious. Helen tries to take her advice, even though she's pretty happy with how she looks already. Then Martha becomes the new host of a radio advice show, and people start doing some pretty strange things. Will Helen learn whose opinion really matters?
Vocabulary: (E) persuade, defend, encourage, groan, advice
(I) disagree, agree, suggest, offer, plead, sigh, opinion
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; Martha Speaks; Martha Gives Advice,” 09/06/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A86C32B5C7E94EF38B4618455B55C740.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; Martha Speaks; Martha Gives Advice.” 09/06/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A86C32B5C7E94EF38B4618455B55C740>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; Martha Speaks; Martha Gives Advice. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A86C32B5C7E94EF38B4618455B55C740