Say Brother; Blues Ain't Nothing But a Poem, The
Part of Say Brother.
Dubbed from A2-03324.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Blues Ain't Nothing But a Poem, The
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program consists of an interview with Washington, DC poet and playwright Everett Goodwin. Host Barbara Barrow speaks with Goodwin about the ideas behind his poems, how he started writing and getting published, and issues related to the production of his upcoming play. Program includes Goodwin's readings from his book of poems The Blues Ain't Nothing But a Poem, including, "Loving Nothing But The Blues," "To A Down and Out Brother," "Love Poem for Shauna," and "Ode to Reefer"). Program includes the "Community Calendar."
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Oral interpretation of poetry
- African American poets
- Goodwin, Everett
- Civil rights
- Race and Ethnicity
- White, Conrad (Director)
- Barbara Barrow (Producer)
- Smith, Lee (Camera)
- Tsiang, Kaisan (Assistant Cameraman)
- Holden, Dick (Camera)
- Handyside, Keith (Video)
- Clarke, Brian (Assistant To The Producer)
- Hudson, Harvey (Audio)
- Koppel, Tiit (Lighting Assistant)
- Balhatchet, Tom (Audio Editor)
- Merhar, Milan (Videotape Editor)
- Wareham, Skip (Stage Manager)
- Smith, Kathy (Switcher)
- Norton, Chas (Lighting Director)
- Kramer, Sharon (Graphic Designer)
- Hill, Rebecca (Fashion Consultant)
- Demers, Leo (Videotape Editor)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Host)
- Cross, June (Production Assistant)
- Kane, Pat (Videotape Recordist)
- Nicholas , Huntley, Jr. (Film Sound)
- Berg, Patricia (Assistant Cameraman)
- Mahard, Fran (Scenic Design)
- Portilla, Alfred (Assistant Cameraman)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Blues Ain't Nothing But a Poem, The,” 08/01/1997, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 4, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A848F9AE2FE34AA19EF1B708787D1B45.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Blues Ain't Nothing But a Poem, The.” 08/01/1997. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 4, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A848F9AE2FE34AA19EF1B708787D1B45>.
- APA: Say Brother; Blues Ain't Nothing But a Poem, The. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A848F9AE2FE34AA19EF1B708787D1B45