La Plaza; Education Beyond The Myth
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Education Beyond The Myth
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Today, three fourths of Latino children are raised in poverty. Latinos have the highest drop-out rate in the country: a staggering 52%. Is the educational system in Massachussetts ready to cope with the problems affecting the largest community they serve today? La Plaza investigates the history and the myths behind bilingual education, and leads us into the lives of Hispanic students and educators.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Education Beyond The Myth,” 12/27/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 29, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A7565DCD13CF4EADA7ECE97345037B4E.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Education Beyond The Myth.” 12/27/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 29, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A7565DCD13CF4EADA7ECE97345037B4E>.
- APA: La Plaza; Education Beyond The Myth. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A7565DCD13CF4EADA7ECE97345037B4E