Evening at Pops; Star Wars And The Hollywood Sound
John Williams / Itzhak Pearlman / Gene Shalit
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Evening at Pops
- Star Wars And The Hollywood Sound
- Program Number
- Series Description
Taped shows of the Boston Pops. First telecast on WGBH in June 1957; Arthur Fiedler conducting at MIT Kresge Auditorium. Premiered nationally July 5, 1970, performances at Symphony Hall. Series release date: 1970
- Program Description
Boston Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams leads the Pops in a special video and orchestral tribute to classic Hollywood films -- and the music that makes them great. Host Gene Shalit of NBC's "Today Show" and soloists Itzhak Perlman and Grover Washington Jr. join Williams for a celebration of the scores from such Hollywood blockbusters as "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Jaws," "Superman," "E.T.," "Scent of a Woman," "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Schindler's List" -- all performed live and many punctuated by a selection of corresponding film clips. The 20th anniversary of "Star Wars" and the music from Williams's scores to the popular trilogy are also commemorated and accompanied by a video montage of favorite scenes from the films. Perlman turns in a stirring performance of excerpts from "Schindler's List," and jazz saxophonist Grover Washington Jr. performs the Academy Award- winning theme from "A Place in the Sun."
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Performance for a Live Audience
- Dangel, Susan (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Evening at Pops; Star Wars And The Hollywood Sound,” 05/24/1997, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A5F5F9F7215742AC918F7C80BFCE2085.
- MLA: “Evening at Pops; Star Wars And The Hollywood Sound.” 05/24/1997. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A5F5F9F7215742AC918F7C80BFCE2085>.
- APA: Evening at Pops; Star Wars And The Hollywood Sound. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A5F5F9F7215742AC918F7C80BFCE2085