Ten O'Clock News; School busing in Lowell
Marcus Jones reports on tension over school desegregation in Lowell. Jones reports that Robert Kennedy (Mayor of Lowell) called on supporters of school desegregation to show support by riding buses with students in Lowell today. Jones' report includes footage of Kennedy addressing supporters, including Evelyn Murphy (Lieutenant governor of Massachusetts), Luis Tiant (former Red Sox pitcher) and Grace Corrigan (mother of astronaut Christa McAuliffe). Jones reports that George Kouloheras (Lowell School Committee) is a leader of the anti-busing movement in Lowell. Jones reports that Kuoloheras is campaigning to elect anti-busing candidates to the Lowell School Committee in order to overturn the present school desegregation plan. Jones interviews Kouloheras. Kouloheras says that he hopes that new school committee will reject busing and find another way to integrate schools. Jones also interviews Michael Kennedy (Regional Manager, National School Bus Service, Inc.) and Donna Senior (Lowell parent) about the bus routes in Lowell. Jones notes that the coming elections will decide how school desegregation is implemented in Lowell. Jones' report is accompanied by footage of students and school buses in Lowell. This tape includes additional footage of school buses on the streets in Lowell. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Christy George reports on student enrollment plans in the cities of Cambridge and Lowell
- Ten O'Clock News
School busing in Lowell
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School boards
- Baseball players
- Tiant, Luis, 1940-
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Murphy, Evelyn F.
- Busing for school integration
- Lowell (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; School busing in Lowell,” 10/26/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A5DAFA5F5C0F4F14B63BE3A38F3BF9B1.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; School busing in Lowell.” 10/26/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A5DAFA5F5C0F4F14B63BE3A38F3BF9B1>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; School busing in Lowell. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A5DAFA5F5C0F4F14B63BE3A38F3BF9B1