Ten O'Clock News; Gabu Tugwana interview, Part 1
Christy George reports that F.W. de Klerk, the President of South Africa, announced that the ban on the African National Congress (ANC) in South Africa will be lifted, and Nelson Mandela will be freed. George's report includes footage of de Klerk making the announcement and footage of Desmond Tutu reacting to the announcement. George's report also features footage of black and white South Africans reacting to the news and footage of black South Africans celebrating. George interviews Gabu Tugwana, the editor of The New Nation over the telephone. Tugwana discusses de Klerk's announcement and describes reaction to the announcement in South Africa. Tugwana says that apartheid laws are still in force. George's story includes footage of black South Africans and South African security forces; it also includes footage of Koos van der Merwe and Dr. Andries Treunicht, both of the Conservative Party, reacting to the news. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Aggrey Mbere talks about South Africa and his exile in the US
- Ten O'Clock News
Gabu Tugwana interview, Part 1
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- South Africa
- Tutu, Desmond
- Anti-apartheid movements
- African National Congress
- Mandela, Nelson, 1918-
- South Africa
- News Report
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Gabu Tugwana interview, Part 1,” 02/02/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A52EC7D6F1AC4D1592499D5150020814.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Gabu Tugwana interview, Part 1.” 02/02/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A52EC7D6F1AC4D1592499D5150020814>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Gabu Tugwana interview, Part 1. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A52EC7D6F1AC4D1592499D5150020814