Frames of Reference; Capoeira of Brazil
Part of New Television Workshop.
Part of NTW Master Dubbing: 8/98
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Frames of Reference
- Capoeira of Brazil
- Series Description
“Frames of Reference” was a series that began circa 1978. Half-hour shows were produced to showcase commissioned and already created works. It was around this time that the focus of the Workshop shifted, to concentrate more heavily on creating works for broadcast. During its time, “Frames of Reference” was the focus of the Workshop’s national arts programming effort. In an attempt to raise funds and foster collaboration, Workshop personnel approached and visited several public television stations nationwide. The major collaborative relationship was with WGBH’s “sister station,” WGBY (Springfield, Mass.). Among the featured artists were Meredith Monk, Remy Charlip, Trisha Brown, and Peter Campus. In 1981, “Frames of Reference” was packaged and offered to PBS, during what is known as “flex time” and was broadcast by WGBH, WNET (New York), and WGBY (Springfield, Mass.). “Frames of Reference” ended as a series ca. 1983, because of a lack of funding. Series release date: 1978
- Program Description
The Capoeiras of Bahia Dance Company performs capoeira -- a Brazilian dance comprised of the motions of a martial art form -- to the accompaniment of traditional song and instrumentation. The narrator describes the aesthetics of capoeira and its social history among the African slaves and Portuguese in Brazil.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Capoeira (Dance)
- Film and Television
- Hudlin (Producer)
- Machado, Loremil ()
- Murdock, Clifton ()
- Murdock, Wilber and Winnik, Kevin ()
- da Silva, Eusebio and Kerr, Herbert ()
- Andradre, J. C. (Apollo) ()
- Moe, Timothy ()
- Capoeiras of Bahia Dance Company, The ()
- Chicago: “Frames of Reference; Capoeira of Brazil,” 09/25/1980, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 23, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A360DFDD48E048FBBC5881970B214FB5.
- MLA: “Frames of Reference; Capoeira of Brazil.” 09/25/1980. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 23, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A360DFDD48E048FBBC5881970B214FB5>.
- APA: Frames of Reference; Capoeira of Brazil. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A360DFDD48E048FBBC5881970B214FB5