Ten O'Clock News; Lenora Fulani, Jesse Jackson
Meg Vaillancourt reports that Jesse Jackson gave a speech at Sanders Theatre at Harvard University as part of his effort to support the presidential campaign of Michael Dukakis. Jackson attacked George Bush and the Republican Party on issues of race, and defended the term "liberal" from Republican attacks. Additional footage of Jackson and Dukakis at the 1988 Democratic Convention. Independent presidential candidate Lenora Fulani also visited Boston today. Fulani is the African American progressive candidate of the New Alliance Party. Interview with Fulani, who says that progressive voters need to vote against Dukakis. She adds that the Democratic Party needs to differentiate itself from the Republican Party in order to win the votes of progressives. Vaillancourt notes that Fulani is a Jackson supporter. Vaillancourt reports that Fulani will probably not be a threat to Dukakis in the 1988 election. She adds that a future Jackson candidacy could threaten the Democratic Party by attracting disenchanted progressive voters from the Democratic Party.
- Ten O'Clock News
Lenora Fulani, Jesse Jackson
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American women
- Political conventions
- Bush, George, 1924-
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Fulani, Lenora
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Race relations
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- African American politicians
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854-)
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Political campaigns
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- Fulani, Lenora (Interviewee)
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- (Speaker)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Lenora Fulani, Jesse Jackson,” 10/24/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 28, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A2B48176490446F6AF30AC18DFCDC6DB.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Lenora Fulani, Jesse Jackson.” 10/24/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 28, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A2B48176490446F6AF30AC18DFCDC6DB>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Lenora Fulani, Jesse Jackson. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A2B48176490446F6AF30AC18DFCDC6DB