Ten O'Clock News; Reactions to “Common Ground”
The film Common Ground is based on a book about the history of school desegregation in Boston. Christy George reports that a group of people who were involved in school desegregation in Boston watched the film together last night. Afterwards, they hold a discussion of the film. Former Mayor Kevin White says that the film provoked strong reactions in everyone. City Councilor James Kelly and Former School Committee Member Elvira "Pixie" Palladino speak out against busing. George Walker, a member of the Twymon family portrayed in Common Ground, speaks out against "closed communities." Jim Conway, a Charlestown resident, says that the film promotes a negative image of Charlestown. Lisa McGoff, a member of the McGoff family portrayed in Common Ground, and Cassandra Twymon, a member of the Twymon family portrayed in Common Ground, also speak at the meeting. McGoff says that the film concentrates on the negative events of the busing crisis. Twymon says that the film gives an accurate portrayal of her experiences as an African American student in a white school. George's report includes footage from the film. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Jan von Mehren talks to students about school desegregation and race relations
- Ten O'Clock News
Reactions to “Common Ground”
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Charlestown (Boston, Mass.)
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- White, Kevin H.
- African American students
- Busing for school integration
- Race relations
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- White, Kevin H. (Interviewee)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007 (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Reactions to “Common Ground”,” 03/20/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A0E1E687FB914F1EA520E6465C905E2A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Reactions to “Common Ground”.” 03/20/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A0E1E687FB914F1EA520E6465C905E2A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Reactions to “Common Ground”. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A0E1E687FB914F1EA520E6465C905E2A