Ten O'Clock News; Women, Inc.
Fritz Wetherbee profiles Katie Portis (President of Women, Inc.). Wetherbee reports that Women, Inc. is a service organization in Dorchester that provides housing, treatment, and other services for poor and drug dependent women. Wetherbee notes that one of the goals of Women, Inc. is to provide support for single mothers who want to keep their children. Wetherbee interviews Portis. Portis talks about the organization and her reasons for starting it. Wetherbee profiles Ethel, a resident at the Women's Inc. house. In an interview, Ethel talks about the help she has received from the organization. Wetherbee interviews Diana Christmas (residential counselor) and Linda Galloway (resident at the Women, Inc. house) about the organization. Wetherbee's report is accompanied by footage of the interior and exterior of the Women, Inc. house.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American women
- Urban poor
- Drug abuse -- Treatment
- Drug abuse -- Prevention
- Dorchester (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Wetherbee, Fritz (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Women, Inc.,” 11/24/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 17, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9EF425019DAC443F98B79A8EEF02F74A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Women, Inc..” 11/24/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 17, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9EF425019DAC443F98B79A8EEF02F74A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Women, Inc.. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9EF425019DAC443F98B79A8EEF02F74A