Ten O'Clock News; South Boston opposes integration
Christopher Lydon reports that Mayor Ray Flynn attended a community meeting in South Boston to discuss public housing integration. Lydon notes that the audience was hostile in their opposition to the issue. Lydon's report includes footage from the meeting. City Councilor James Kelly speaks out against public housing integration. The crowd cheers. The crowd jeers at Flynn as he makes the case for a fair and equitable housing policy. Lydon notes that Kelly linked the housing integration issue to memories of school desegregation in the 1970s.
- Ten O'Clock News
South Boston opposes integration
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Public housing
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007 (Speaker)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; South Boston opposes integration,” 01/12/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 12, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9E3FA3CE68B747DE97516300002BC1D1.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; South Boston opposes integration.” 01/12/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 12, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9E3FA3CE68B747DE97516300002BC1D1>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; South Boston opposes integration. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9E3FA3CE68B747DE97516300002BC1D1