Ten O'Clock News; Blacks in the military
Carmen Fields interviews Frank Hector (World War II veteran) and Ralph Cooper (Vietnam veteran) about their experiences in the military. Hector talks about the accomplishments of African American soldiers and war veterans. Hector says that the military is a good experience for young African Americans. Cooper talks about the disproportionate numbers of African American soldiers in the front lines and the lack of services for veterans of color. Hector and Cooper talk about their opinions of Colin Powell (Head, US Joint Chiefs of Staff). Field's report is accompanied by footage of Powell and soldiers during the Persian Gulf War. Fields reports that many African Americans join the military to escape the high unemployment rate in the African American community. Field's report is accompanied by footage of Reverend Michael Haynes leading a church service at Roxbury's Twelfth Baptist Church. Relatives of soldiers in the Persian Gulf War stand in front of the altar to pray for the soldiers. Fields interviews Haynes. Haynes says that African American soldiers must be granted equal rights and privileges when they return home from the war. Fields' report is accompanied by footage from interviews with people on the street about African American soldiers in the Persian Gulf War.
- Ten O'Clock News
Blacks in the military
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States -- Armed Forces -- African Americans
- African American veterans
- Armed Forces
- Powell, Colin L.
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Blacks in the military,” 01/21/1991, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 18, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9D89E091A1AD46DCB6037BCF7AD6FD4D.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Blacks in the military.” 01/21/1991. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 18, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9D89E091A1AD46DCB6037BCF7AD6FD4D>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Blacks in the military. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9D89E091A1AD46DCB6037BCF7AD6FD4D