Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury construction jobs
Carolyn Sawyer reports that a group of unemployed laborers are picketing the construction site of the new Post Office in Dudley Square in Roxbury. The picketers are demanding that fifty percent of the laborers on the site be residents of the Roxbury community. Press conference held by the picketers at the site. Rev. Graylan Hagler from the Church of the United Community says that the men will not go away with "crumbs." Picketers Ivan Singleton, James Gun, and Ron Nelson also speak out at the press conference. Interview with Stephen Coyle of the Boston Redevelopment Authority, who is trying to mediate the dispute. Coyle says that the community is legitimately concerned about the high rate of unemployment among residents. He adds that he expects similar protests during upcoming construction projects. Sawyer reviews the agreement concerning minority participation in the construction project.
- Ten O'Clock News
Roxbury construction jobs
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans -- Employment
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954-
- Press conferences
- Construction industry
- Affirmative action programs
- African American religious leaders
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954- (Speaker)
- Sawyer, Carolyn (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury construction jobs,” 12/21/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9C8F7E3CF7F3440C94C083A3E4CBF4C6.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury construction jobs.” 12/21/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9C8F7E3CF7F3440C94C083A3E4CBF4C6>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury construction jobs. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9C8F7E3CF7F3440C94C083A3E4CBF4C6