Ten O'Clock News; Flynn vs. South Boston
Meg Vaillancourt reports that Mayor Ray Flynn has promised to integrate public housing projects in South Boston and to put a stop to discriminatory practices by the Boston Housing Authority (BHA). African American families have been passed over on the waiting list for apartments in South Boston housing projects. Flynn's plans to integrate public housing have angered his constituents in South Boston, who refer to housing integration as "forced housing." Vaillancourt's report is accompanied by footage of white residents of a South Boston housing project and by footage of South Boston residents during the busing crisis in 1974. Vaillancourt reports that Flynn and Doris Bunte of the BHA attended a community meeting in South Boston to talk about housing integration with South Boston residents. Flynn defends himself against the hostile comments of South Boston residents. City Councilor James Kelly addresses the meeting, denouncing housing integration. Interview with Neil Sullivan, policy advisor to Flynn who talks about public housing integration and Flynn's relationship with South Boston residents.
- Ten O'Clock News
Flynn vs. South Boston
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- Boston Housing Authority
- Race relations
- Public housing
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- South Boston (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Flynn vs. South Boston,” 01/13/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 18, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9B9CB1385BF54DF8AE8E5003E3D72CC5.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Flynn vs. South Boston.” 01/13/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 18, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9B9CB1385BF54DF8AE8E5003E3D72CC5>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Flynn vs. South Boston. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9B9CB1385BF54DF8AE8E5003E3D72CC5