New Television; New Television, Episode 512; Volcano Saga
Part of New Television Workshop.
Based on a thirteenth-century Icelandic myth, "Volcano Saga" recounts the tales of a young woman (portrayed by Tilda Swinton) whose dreams foretell the future. Approximate date: 1989
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 512
- Program Number
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Features Joan Jonas’ “Volcano Saga.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Wurmfield, Charles
- Vawter, Ron
- St. Ignadottir, Ragna
- Wurmfield, Esther
- Jonas, Joan, 1936-
- Swinton, Tilda
- Dream interpretation
- Karason, Bardi
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 512; Volcano Saga,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_99DE25B01AE04503B32E273369594CAC.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 512; Volcano Saga.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_99DE25B01AE04503B32E273369594CAC>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 512; Volcano Saga. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_99DE25B01AE04503B32E273369594CAC