Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson at Harvard Law School
Meg Vaillancourt reports that Jesse Jackson visited Harvard Law School to join student protests over the school's minority hiring practices. Vaillancourt notes that Jackson supports Derrick Bell (Professor, Harvard Law School), who has announced that he will leave his post to protest the school's poor affirmative action record. Derrick Bell is Harvard's first African-American tenured professor. Vaillancourt reports that there are only five tenured female professors and three tenured African American male professors out of sixty-one tenured professors at the school. Vaillancourt's report includes footage of Jackson addressing students at the school. Barack Obama is seen among students in the background. Jackson shakes hands with Bell and condemns the school's affirmative action record. Vaillancourt notes that the school administration has refused Jackson's offer to act as a mediator on the issue. Vaillancourt reports that Jackson accused Harvard Law School of institutional racism and sexism. She adds that Robert Clark (Dean, Harvard Law School) issued a statement defending the school's hiring practices. Vaillancourt's report features footage of Bell at a student demonstration at Harvard Law School in April 1990 and footage of Jackson at a student demonstration. This tape includes additional footage of Jackson addressing demonstrators at Harvard Law School.
- Ten O'Clock News
Jesse Jackson at Harvard Law School
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Derrick, Bell A.
- Universities and colleges
- Student protesters
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Harvard University
- Obama, Barack
- African American politicians
- Affirmative action programs
- Cambridge (Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Derrick, Bell A. (Speaker)
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson at Harvard Law School,” 05/09/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_985F60B5A7874CA2AFDFCE604D18511D.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson at Harvard Law School.” 05/09/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_985F60B5A7874CA2AFDFCE604D18511D>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Jesse Jackson at Harvard Law School. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_985F60B5A7874CA2AFDFCE604D18511D