Martha Speaks; Martha Treads the Boards; Martha’s Pack
MSPE 134 HD 28:46 6/13/09 DB/MR5 Media Operations Center PBS
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- Martha Treads the Boards; Martha’s Pack
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
Martha Treads the Boards Helen's mom and dad are starring in the community theater production, and Helen's the stage manager. Even Martha gets a part... as a bull. When the big night finally comes, Mom and Dad get trapped in their dressing room. The play must go on, but now the bull is the bullfighter and the bullfighter is... her sister? What will they do for an encore?
Vocabulary: (E) tradition, custom, culture, generation, annual
(I) family, different, community, theater, marry
Martha's Pack When Helen leaves Martha off her family tree, Martha decides to make her own pack. However, the call of the wild becomes the call of the can opener for her pack mates, and soon Martha is left alone at Doghead Lake, hunting for dinner. But can she really eat that poor wounded duck?
Vocabulary: (E) family tree, ancestors, descendant, pack, relatives
(I) wolf, sister, brother, cousin, daughter
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; Martha Treads the Boards; Martha’s Pack,” 06/13/2009, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 9, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_979F5B3EC211498C9137E27D1B3E6954.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; Martha Treads the Boards; Martha’s Pack.” 06/13/2009. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 9, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_979F5B3EC211498C9137E27D1B3E6954>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; Martha Treads the Boards; Martha’s Pack. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_979F5B3EC211498C9137E27D1B3E6954