Ten O'Clock News; Jackson's domestic platform
Meg Vaillancourt reports that Jesse Jackson has released position papers detailing his stance on domestic issues. Vaillancourt reviews Jackson's positions on the economy, trade, employment, social programs, defense spending, and taxes. Interview with labor union leader Domenic Bozzotto and Harvard professor Roger Porter about Jackson's positions on the issues. Bozzotto defends Jackson's platform while Porter criticizes it. Vaillancourt notes that Jackson would support his social programs through cuts in defense spending and increased taxes on wealthy Americans. Vaillancourt reports that Jackson's position as the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination challenges other candidates to defend their positions on the issues. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: James Farmer speaks at a ceremony in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Ten O'Clock News
Jackson's domestic platform
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Political campaigns
- International trade
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- United States -- Economic policy
- African American politicians
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Jackson's domestic platform,” 04/04/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 18, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_974D1948C35D4BF4B49E033C6CD94D0B.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Jackson's domestic platform.” 04/04/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 18, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_974D1948C35D4BF4B49E033C6CD94D0B>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Jackson's domestic platform. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_974D1948C35D4BF4B49E033C6CD94D0B