Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Avant Garde a la Carte
Avant Guard Al La Carte
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie
- Avant Garde a la Carte
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiere October 8, 2006
The edgy and provocative Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie provides exclusive entrée into the passionate inner circle of the food world to uncover the latest cutting-edge food trends, must-use ingredients, kitchen gadgets and food destinations. The 20-part series affords viewers privileged access to an arsenal of trusted industry journalists and epicurean experts who deliver compelling food stories from all around the globe. From street food in Shanghai to a "flameless" restaurant in Spain, Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie mixes travel with food to explore, inform and entertain.
Looking at the world food-first, Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie is a sophisticated, high-end series that introduces viewers to a feast of cutting-edge food trends, exotic ingredients, and in-the-know food players on an international level. Expanding on the lessons learned during the show's travels, Gourmet Editor-in-Chief Ruth Reichl, along with a supporting staff of Gourmet's renowned food editors, go inside the magazine's test kitchens to show viewers how they can bring this diverse culinary landscape into their own homes.
Produced by WGBH and Zero Point Zero Productions in association with Gourmet magazine and Discovery Networks International, and exclusively sponsored by TIAA-CREF. Series release date: 10/8/2006
- Program Description
There's a revolution going on in today's restaurants-Whose side are you on? A new generation of chefs are exploring the bold frontier of molecular gastronomy, an emerging culinary discipline that focuses on the science of cooking. They think about the restaurant experience as a whole, the emotions surrounding the food, and the way it is served. First, we'll learn how Raymond Capaldi's uses liquid nitrogen as an unusual palate cleanser in Australia. Then, we'll visit two Chicago innovators: Homaru Cantu, a culinary wizard who boggles the mind with innovative items such as edible menus and dehydrated pastries; and chef Grant Achatz, whose high-tech creations at four-star restaurant Alinea are served on specially designed sculptural holders with no flatware. Join us as we see how these avant-garde chefs are creating new and exciting foods that are cutting edge, delicious, and above all, entertaining.
RECIPES Carrot Foam with Chocolate Sorbet
Exclusive Hello, Moto At chef Homaro Cantu's Chicago restaurant-cum-think tank, he cooks with laser beams and liquid nitrogen. Oh, and he wants to feed the world. Writer Robert Sietsema pays a call on Cantu to learn how, as well as what makes this mad scientist tick.
From the Pages of Gourmet Magazine Thinking Different by Tom Vanderbilt Cooks Like Us by Robert Sietsema
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Collins, Christopher (Series Producer)
- Tenaglia, Lydia (Series Producer)
- Zero Point Zero Productions (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Avant Garde a la Carte,” 04/22/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_96D01A478051449794F5FB14E10CA1AB.
- MLA: “Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Avant Garde a la Carte.” 04/22/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_96D01A478051449794F5FB14E10CA1AB>.
- APA: Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie; Avant Garde a la Carte. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_96D01A478051449794F5FB14E10CA1AB