Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury Comprehensive Health Center
Carmen Fields reports that the infant mortality rate in Boston's African American community is three times the rate in white communities. Fields interviews Jeanne Taylor, PhD (Roxbury Comprehensive Health Center) and David Dolin (Executive Vice President, Beth Israel Hospital)) about the partnership between the two facilities and the rising infant mortality rate in Boston. Dolin says that the high infant mortality rate is a social problem involving health, education, housing, employment, and crime. He adds that advances must be made in all of those areas in order to combat the high infant mortality rate in Boston. Taylor talks about the role of community health centers and the benefits of relationships between community health centers and large hospitals. Taylor says that the infant mortality rate is only one indicator of distress in the African American community. Fields reports that the concept of linkage is being applied to health care through the partnerships between the large and small medical facilities. Fields's report includes footage of infants being cared for in the nursery of a health facility.
- Ten O'Clock News
Roxbury Comprehensive Health Center
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Medical care
- Beth Israel Hospital (Boston, Mass.)
- Urban policy
- Infants -- Mortality
- Urban poor
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Fields, Carmen (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury Comprehensive Health Center,” 01/28/1991, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 28, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_94F5C899426C4610830F8950711D70D6.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury Comprehensive Health Center.” 01/28/1991. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 28, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_94F5C899426C4610830F8950711D70D6>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Roxbury Comprehensive Health Center. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_94F5C899426C4610830F8950711D70D6