Martha Speaks; Martha’s Dirty Habit; Helen’s All Thumbs
MSPE 130 28:46 3/28/09 DB/MR5 Media Operations Center PBS
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- Martha’s Dirty Habit; Helen’s All Thumbs
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
Martha's Dirty Habit Every spring, Martha gets an urge to dig that she just can't control. When Martha's habit gets her in trouble with the whole neighborhood, the family decides they need to put her desire to dig to good use.
Vocabulary: (E) habit, weakness, urge, crave, drive
(I) want, stop, desire, need, irresistible
Helen's All Thumbs Ronald gives Helen his old gamekid, and pretty soon she's hooked! She forgets to walk Martha, neglects her homework, and becomes completely preoccupied. When Helen forgets to feed Martha and Skits again, and misses the fieldtrip because she forgot her permission slip, she turns to Martha for help. Can Helen break the habit?
Vocabulary: (E) addict, obsessed, preoccupied, monitor, restraint
(I) hooked, quit, level, rid, break
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; Martha’s Dirty Habit; Helen’s All Thumbs,” 03/28/2009, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_94EABC7E830749C0B58DF85A2355D401.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; Martha’s Dirty Habit; Helen’s All Thumbs.” 03/28/2009. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_94EABC7E830749C0B58DF85A2355D401>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; Martha’s Dirty Habit; Helen’s All Thumbs. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_94EABC7E830749C0B58DF85A2355D401