Say Brother; Look Into the Past, A
Part of Say Brother.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Look Into the Past, A
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Producer Topper Carew presents a number of segments originally aired in 1972 and 1973, as well as recently conducted interviews with former "Say Brother" staff and supporters, in order to celebrate the accomplishments of the program. Previously aired segments are primarily interviews conducted by former producer John Slade with local officials (John O. Boone, Leroy B. Chase and Robert J. DiGrazia), Harvard professors and authors Dr. Alvin Pouissant and Christopher Jencks, and "Superfly" actor Ron O'Neal, although there are arts related clips from vocal and dance performances. New interviews are with Elma Lewis, Mel King, Sarah Ann Shaw and Jim Boyd one-on-one with Topper Carew.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- O'Neal, Ron
- Boone, John O.
- Shaw, Sarah-Ann
- African American psychologists
- African American actors
- Television in community development
- Jencks, Christopher
- African American journalists
- African Americans in television broadcasting
- DiGrazia, Robert J.
- King, Mel
- Lewis, Elma
- Chase, Leroy B.
- Civil rights
- Fabio, Sarah
- African American women
- Pouissant, Dr. Alvin
- Boyd, Jim
- Race and Ethnicity
- White, Connie (Director)
- Jones, Vickie (Associate Producer)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Associate Producer)
- Topper Carew (Producer)
- Johnson, Henry (Filmmaker)
- Carew, Topper (Host)
- Huntley Nicholas, Jr. (film sound) (Other)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Look Into the Past, A,” 10/10/1973, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 20, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9486B4B987A246D4B79DA8E8F822F441.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Look Into the Past, A.” 10/10/1973. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 20, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9486B4B987A246D4B79DA8E8F822F441>.
- APA: Say Brother; Look Into the Past, A. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9486B4B987A246D4B79DA8E8F822F441