Ten O'Clock News; Kevin White on school opening
Press conference at City Hall. Boston Mayor Kevin White and Police Commissioner Robert DiGrazia read prepared statements about the following day's school opening in the third year of court-ordered busing. White expresses confidence in a peaceful opening of schools. DiGrazia says that police have been instructed to use minimum force, but to act decisively against any disruptions of public order. Both men hope that police can be removed from schools as soon as possible. White notes that the atmosphere seems calmer this year than during the previous two years. White says that he would like to remove police from the schools as soon as possible because their presence hinders the development of a healthy learning environment. Reporters question them on the school opening. Shots of Pam Bullard listening to the press conference.
- Ten O'Clock News
Kevin White on school opening
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Schools -- Safety measures
- Boston (Mass.). Police Dept.
- White, Kevin H.
- Press conferences
- Busing for school integration
- DiGrazia, Robert J.
- Massachusetts. Metropolitan District Commission
- First day of school
- Massachusetts. Dept. of State Police
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- DiGrazia, Robert J. (Speaker)
- Bullard, Pam (Reporter)
- White, Kevin H. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Kevin White on school opening,” 09/07/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 17, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9439E95A04124970927037BA6E4F8504.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Kevin White on school opening.” 09/07/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 17, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9439E95A04124970927037BA6E4F8504>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Kevin White on school opening. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9439E95A04124970927037BA6E4F8504