La Plaza; Cocolos Y Rockeros : For Rock or Salsa
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Cocolos Y Rockeros : For Rock or Salsa
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
This upbeat documentary by Ana Maria Garcia presents the oposing cultural worlds of those who like salsa music, “cocolos”, and thos who prefer rock, “rockeros”. This piece focuses on how music is melded with class, nationality, and race, to create the cultural identity of youth.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Cocolos Y Rockeros : For Rock or Salsa,” 08/25/1995, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 24, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_942163FA7A984C05992195D0C47BCEA0.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Cocolos Y Rockeros : For Rock or Salsa.” 08/25/1995. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 24, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_942163FA7A984C05992195D0C47BCEA0>.
- APA: La Plaza; Cocolos Y Rockeros : For Rock or Salsa. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_942163FA7A984C05992195D0C47BCEA0