Ten O'Clock News; Discrimination suit against BHA
Christy George reports that a lawsuit has been filed against the Boston Housing Authority (BHA) to protest its discriminatory housing policies. It charges that the BHA has discouraged minorities from moving into all-white housing projects. The city is planning to voluntarily integrate its housing projects by next year. Interview with Tanya Boman and Annie Hailey, who are among the plaintiffs in the lawsuit. Boman and Hailey talk about their experience with the BHA. Both women were told that their families would be unsafe in white housing projects and that the BHA would not provide them with protection. Interview with Doris Bunte of the BHA, who denies any discriminatory practices on the part of BHA employees. Interview with City Councilor James Kelly, who defends the BHA and denounces public housing integration. Kelly has proposed an alternative public housing integration plan that eliminates preferences for minority families applying for apartments in white housing projects. Interview with Dianne Wilkerson of the NAACP. Wilkerson criticizes the city's record on public housing integration and the slow pace of change. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: David Boeri reports that midwives at Boston City Hospital have been locked out by the hospital administration in a dispute over hospital policy
- Ten O'Clock News
Discrimination suit against BHA
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Public housing
- Actions and defenses
- Boston Housing Authority
- Hate crimes
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- Wilkerson, Dianne
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007 (Interviewee)
- Wilkerson, Dianne (Interviewee)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Discrimination suit against BHA,” 05/17/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 19, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9329C0C111CA45478D925C924DBD3D13.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Discrimination suit against BHA.” 05/17/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 19, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9329C0C111CA45478D925C924DBD3D13>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Discrimination suit against BHA. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_9329C0C111CA45478D925C924DBD3D13