Arthur; D.W., Queen of the Comeback; In My Africa
WGBH Master D.W., Queen of the Comeback, 178B In My Africa, 178A
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- D.W., Queen of the Comeback; In My Africa
- Program Number
1409; 178B; 178A
- Series Description
Each of the Arthur episodes consists of two independent stories that focus on themes and events central to children's lives. Whether it's facing down a bully, worrying about a new teacher, or being the very last person on earth to lose his baby teeth, Arthur and his friends manage to solve their third-grade dilemmas with imagination, kindness and a lot of humor. "What children love about Arthur is that he feels real to them," says Carol Greenwald, WGBH executive producer. "The emotions he experiences are universal. When Arthur triumphs over something, kids think they can, too. "The series will build on that sense of empowerment by showing how Arthur and his friends use effective, age-appropriate, problem-solving skills. Bringing a book-based series like Arthur to public television will also promote reading and writing skills. Series release date: 10/1996
- Program Description
D.W., Queen of the Comeback, 178B The Tibbles tease, D.W. fires back, the Tibbles taunt, D.W. has a snappy comeback, and round and round they go! Will it ever end? Perhaps an ancient Indian fable about a turtle and two wisecracking geese will be enough to teach D.W. to just let it go.
Educational Objective: Through storytelling, D.W. learns that it’s better to work cooperatively and sometimes let things go rather than to seek revenge.
In My Africa, 178A D.W.’s new classmate, Cheikh, is Brain’s young cousin…and is also from Senegal, Africa! When D.W. realizes that she doesn’t know much about Africa she decides to learn through music – and she, Brain and Cheikh team up to write a song about all 54 countries on that continent!
Educational Objective: D.W. learns to research a country before making assumptions about its people and culture. Through collaboration and song, she teaches her friends about Africa.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Social Issues
- CINAR (Series Producer)
- Greenwald, Carol (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Arthur; D.W., Queen of the Comeback; In My Africa,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed August 20, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_92B43B87B3CB4075BE6D542DC059763A.
- MLA: “Arthur; D.W., Queen of the Comeback; In My Africa.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. August 20, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_92B43B87B3CB4075BE6D542DC059763A>.
- APA: Arthur; D.W., Queen of the Comeback; In My Africa. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_92B43B87B3CB4075BE6D542DC059763A