Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting plan
Sharon Felzer reports that four groups filed suit against the 1987 redistricting plan for the Massachusetts House of Representatives. Felzer notes that the plaintiffs complain that the plan violates the one-person, one-vote clause of the Constitution and that it does not provide fair minority representation. Felzer adds that the 1987 plan was designed by James Brett (State Representative). Felzer's report includes footage of Brett defending his latest plan in the chambers of the House of Representatives. Felzer interviews Alan Jay Rom (attorney, who criticizes Brett's latest plan. Felzer reports that Rom has drafted his own redistricting plan. Felzer compares the redistricting plans of Brett and Rom. Felzer's report includes footage of African Americans at a polling station and footage of George Keverian (Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives) in the House chambers.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans -- Politics and government
- Massachusetts State House (Boston, Mass.)
- Massachusetts. General Court. House of Representatives
- Actions and defenses
- Brett, James T., 1949-
- Election law
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Keverian, George, 1931-2009
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Felzer, Sharon (Reporter)
- Keverian, George, 1931-2009 (Speaker)
- Brett, James T., 1949- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting plan,” 03/14/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed April 26, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_925160368E0C4242992273346F0A71F6.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting plan.” 03/14/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. April 26, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_925160368E0C4242992273346F0A71F6>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Redistricting plan. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_925160368E0C4242992273346F0A71F6