Say Brother; Night of the Blues, A
Part of Say Brother.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Say Brother
- Night of the Blues, A
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program focuses on the country music of Georgian blues artist Larry Johnson via a special presentation of the film Toughing it Out by Jim McGlynn and Chuck Rosin. Film features interviews with, and performances by, Johnson, who talks about his life in Georgia, the experiences that led him to New York, his discovery of major New York blues musicians, the making his first record, living in Harlem, and playing music. The movie was produced, directed, and conceived by Jim McGlynn and Chuck Rosin, photographed and edited by Werner Bundschuh, and executive-produced by Chuck Rosin. Copyright 1976, "A CR Production." Program includes the "Community Calendar." Original air date estimated.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Johnson, Larry, 1938-
- African Americans in motion pictures
- African American musicians
- Blues (Music)
- Toughing it Out (Motion picture)
- African American singers
- Blues musicians
- Civil rights
- Television broadcasting of films
- Race and Ethnicity
- Rivero, Marita (Producer)
- Jim Mc Glynn; Chuck Rosin (Producer)
- Rivero, Marita (Host)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Night of the Blues, A,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 27, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_912AB2073E2E4730BE429A6EC328593C.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Night of the Blues, A.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 27, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_912AB2073E2E4730BE429A6EC328593C>.
- APA: Say Brother; Night of the Blues, A. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_912AB2073E2E4730BE429A6EC328593C