Ten O'Clock News; Landsmark press conference
Theodore Landsmark (attorney) speaks to the media at a press conference. His face is in bandages. Landsmark gives an account of the attack he sustained on City Hall Plaza, perpetrated by white teenagers attending an anti-busing rally. He commends the actions of Clarence Jones (Deputy Mayor, City of Boston), who came to his aid after the attack. Landsmark talks about the media's coverage of his attack. Landsmark says that he will seek full prosecution of his attackers, and adds that he will bring suit against members of the Boston School Committee and the Boston City Council. He condemns white city leaders who "incite and encourage" racist violence. Landsmark calls for an end to racism and race discrimination in the city. He accuses the white power structure of ignoring the problems of minority citizens.
- Ten O'Clock News
Landsmark press conference
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Press conferences
- Boston (Mass.). City Council
- Affirmative action programs
- Hate crimes
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- Race relations
- Landsmark, Theodore C.
- White, Kevin H.
- Mass media
- Hicks, Louise Day, 1916-2003
- Actions and defenses
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Landsmark, Theodore C. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Landsmark press conference,” 04/07/1976, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 19, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8FD6CB1578224AD2AD9268F9CFEE7DD5.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Landsmark press conference.” 04/07/1976. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 19, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8FD6CB1578224AD2AD9268F9CFEE7DD5>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Landsmark press conference. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8FD6CB1578224AD2AD9268F9CFEE7DD5