La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: John Phillip Santos
APT Master Conversations with Ilan Stavans John Philip Santos closed captioned APT version
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: John Phillip Santos
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Santos, the ﬁrst-ever Mexican American Rhodes Scholar, discusses his most recent work, National Book Award ﬁnalist Places Left Unﬁnished at the Time of Creation.
John Phillip Santos, the first-ever Mexican American Rhodes scholar, is a veteran author and television documentary producer. In his most recent work, “Places Left Unfinished at the Time of Creation" (1999), a finalist for the National Book Award, Santos paints a family portrait that reaches back in time to the birth of Mexico and the New World. He is a native of San Antonio, Texas, and a graduate of Notre Dame.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: John Phillip Santos,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 23, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8AF3504D8A304C6BA74DF53FFF3CCF2A.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: John Phillip Santos.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 23, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8AF3504D8A304C6BA74DF53FFF3CCF2A>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: John Phillip Santos. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8AF3504D8A304C6BA74DF53FFF3CCF2A