New Television; Dancers, Buildings, and People in the Street
Part of New Television Workshop.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- New Television
- Dancers, Buildings, and People in the Street
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
This work, which was filmed by Rudy Burckhardt, features the choreography of Douglas Dunn. Named after a collection of dance writings of the same name, "Dancers, Buildings, and People in the Street," is "for and from" the dance critic Edwin Denby. The work features street scenes of public life (played forwards and backwards) and scenes of skyscrapers and other architectural landmarks. Dunn and his dancers are seen in rehearsal and, finally, performing the same piece on stage. The work as it appears in Episode 409 is approximately 13 minutes long. Little credit information is provided.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Dance--Production and direction
- Modern dance
- Film and Television
- Burckhardt, Rudy ()
- Frank, Diane (Subject)
- Dunn, Douglas, 1942- (Subject)
- Della-Terza, Grazia (Subject)
- Blankensop, Susan (Subject)
- Young, Bill (Subject)
- Chicago: “New Television; Dancers, Buildings, and People in the Street,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 31, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8A2BF814766B410AB9990C39BCCBA28A.
- MLA: “New Television; Dancers, Buildings, and People in the Street.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 31, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8A2BF814766B410AB9990C39BCCBA28A>.
- APA: New Television; Dancers, Buildings, and People in the Street. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8A2BF814766B410AB9990C39BCCBA28A