Ten O'Clock News; "Glory" and the 54th regiment
Hope Kelly reports that city and state officials held a ceremony at the Massachusetts State House to honor Robert Gould Shaw and the soldiers of the 54th regiment. Kelly reviews the history of Shaw and the African American soldiers of the 54th regiment in the Civil War. Kelly reports that the 1989 film Glory tells the story of the 54th regiment. Kelly's report includes clips from the film. Bill Owens addresses the ceremony. Part of the ceremony takes place in front of the Robert Gould Shaw Memorial. Michael Dukakis and Ray Flynn are part of the ceremony proclaiming Glory Day in Massachusetts. Marilyn Richardson, the curator of the Museum of Afro-American History, addresses at audience at the African Meeting House.
- Ten O'Clock News
"Glory" and the 54th regiment
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Rites and ceremonies
- Owens, Bill, 1937-
- United States -- Armed Forces -- African Americans
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Historical reenactments
- Motion pictures
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Owens, Bill, 1937- (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; "Glory" and the 54th regiment,” 01/08/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 25, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_89FBC63945AB4FC28DD94B8D59C78FD3.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; "Glory" and the 54th regiment.” 01/08/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 25, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_89FBC63945AB4FC28DD94B8D59C78FD3>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; "Glory" and the 54th regiment. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_89FBC63945AB4FC28DD94B8D59C78FD3