Ten O'Clock News; Democratic and gay rights fundraisers
Story on two fundraisers happening on the same night. The Massachusetts Democrats hold fundraiser at a Chinese restaurant. Gay rights activist hold a black-tie fundraiser. Interview with a gay rights activist on the increase in attention they are receiving from politicians. Gay politicians Marjorie Clapprood, Barney Frank, and Gerry Studds are in attendance. Story cuts to footage of gay rights activists at the State House advocating the gay rights bill. Interview with Robert Farmer, who, along with Evelyn Murphy, decided to come to the gay rights fundraiser over the Democratic fundraiser. Two labor unions are boycotting the Democratic fundraiser. Interview with Chester Atkins on what the Democratic Party can do to win the union leaders over again.
- Ten O'Clock News
Democratic and gay rights fundraisers
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Murphy, Evelyn F.
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Massachusetts -- Politics and government
- Studds, Gerry E.
- Labor unions
- Frank, Barney, 1940-
- Politics, Practical
- Gay rights
- Atkins, Chester G.
- Clapprood, Marjorie, 1949-
- Bills, Legislation
- News Report
- Atkins, Chester G. (Interviewee)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Democratic and gay rights fundraisers,” 10/20/1989, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_89689CEF660844FD978BE21B9D11B48B.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Democratic and gay rights fundraisers.” 10/20/1989. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_89689CEF660844FD978BE21B9D11B48B>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Democratic and gay rights fundraisers. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_89689CEF660844FD978BE21B9D11B48B