American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 1 of 3
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Joyner talks about Southern Power - "dough faces" (long), Southern Power - "dough faces" (short), Slave labor - whole US economy implicated in maintenance, Slave labor - cotton responsible for growth of US economy, Abolitionists - nonviolent, John Brown thought "milquetoast", Post Raid - nation divided, extreme positions, Icon - John Brown as hedgehog, obverse of Robert E. Lee, Plan - ill conceived, ill planned, ill executed, Military Planner - more like George Burns than George Patton, Blacks joining Brown - doubts, no rights, why fight?, Blacks on Brown - didn't trust whites, didn't trust Brown, Press - John Brown holding "press conferences" reshaping image
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 1 of 3
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Joyner, Charles (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 1 of 3,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 16, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_882E0F0307EB4D159F88FA312D6F6783.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 1 of 3.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 16, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_882E0F0307EB4D159F88FA312D6F6783>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 1 of 3. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_882E0F0307EB4D159F88FA312D6F6783