Ten O'Clock News; BHA tenant settlement
Christy George interviews Maria LeBron about her experiences as a tenant in Boston's public housing, specifically in the Mission Hill Housing Project. George notes that LeBron is one of 370 tenants who have been compensated for the discriminatory policies of the Boston Housing Authority (BHA). The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and a federal court found the BHA policies to be discriminatory. The Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights filed a lawsuit on behalf on tenants. LeBron talks about how she was placed on a waiting list for an apartment even though there were empty apartments in housing projects in South Boston and Charlestown. She talks about the discriminatory policies of the BHA. LeBron says that it is very difficult to be homeless. She adds that people of color should not be afraid to challenge government agencies. George reports that nearly 1,000 people are eligible for settlement money from the BHA.
- Ten O'Clock News
BHA tenant settlement
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development
- Urban poor
- Public housing
- Actions and defenses
- Boston Housing Authority
- Boston (Mass.)
- Mission Hill (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; BHA tenant settlement,” 08/02/1990, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 10, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_880FA47088C14EACA764E80D9A35EB66.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; BHA tenant settlement.” 08/02/1990. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 10, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_880FA47088C14EACA764E80D9A35EB66>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; BHA tenant settlement. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_880FA47088C14EACA764E80D9A35EB66