Martha Speaks; Martha Gets Spooked; Martha Changes Her Luck
MSPE 119 SOM 01;00;00;00 EOM 01;28;45;28 DUR 28;46 Media Operations Center PBS
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Martha Speaks
- Martha Gets Spooked; Martha Changes Her Luck
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered September 1, 2008
"Martha Speaks" is an animated series that is designed to enrich the vocabulary of 4- to 7-year-olds. The series is based on the classic books by Susan Meddaugh that have charmed and captivated millions of children. Each episode uses Martha's unique linguistic abilities and the hilarious consequences to engage kids and help build their vocabulary skills.
In each Martha Speaks episode, the characters use special words throughout the show. Explicit words, marked with (E), are defined by one of the characters on the show. Implicit words, marked with (I), are used on the show but not defined.
Produced with Studio B Productions, Inc. Series release date: 9/1/2008
- Program Description
Martha Gets Spooked Is someone fixing up the haunted house? If not, who ordered those flowers? Was it the ghost of Mrs. Parkington's Great–Aunt Martha? Whoever or whatever it was, Martha has to go in there to protect Helen, before it's too late!
Vocabulary: (E) eerie, explain, gullible, logical, impossible
(I) creepy, ghost, haunted, unlikely, spook
Martha Changes Her Luck Uh–oh. Martha walked under a ladder—and broke a mirror—so now she thinks she's jinxed. And she's worried her bad luck is rubbing off on everybody else. Helen tries to explain that all the accidents are just coincidence, but things just keep getting
Vocabulary: (E) jinx, superstitious, curse, coincidence, reason
(I) luck, chance, accident, fluke, doomed
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Sullivan, Brigid (Series Producer)
- Barss, Karen (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Martha Speaks; Martha Gets Spooked; Martha Changes Her Luck,” 11/17/2008, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 25, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_879F47B2E4DD4DAA9238AF79A3E12E1E.
- MLA: “Martha Speaks; Martha Gets Spooked; Martha Changes Her Luck.” 11/17/2008. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 25, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_879F47B2E4DD4DAA9238AF79A3E12E1E>.
- APA: Martha Speaks; Martha Gets Spooked; Martha Changes Her Luck. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_879F47B2E4DD4DAA9238AF79A3E12E1E