La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Tino Villanueva
APT Master Conversations with Ilan Stavans Tino Villanueva closed captioned APT version
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Tino Villanueva
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Villanueva’s poems about life in the Mexican American barrios of South Texas in the early 1970s cemented his reputation as the "poet of the Chicano revolution." The now-Boston University professor discusses his groundbreaking works with Stavans.
Tino Villanueva was widely regarded as the poet of the Chicano revolution. His poems about the pain of farm workers and life in the Mexican American barrios of South Texas inspired thousands in the early 1970’s. Villanueva’s poetry has evolvd from those early days. He now teaches at Boston University.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Tino Villanueva,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 23, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_85DB0B91C3DF42B1B512B166B7F27940.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Tino Villanueva.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 23, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_85DB0B91C3DF42B1B512B166B7F27940>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Tino Villanueva. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_85DB0B91C3DF42B1B512B166B7F27940