Ten O'Clock News; City Council on school reform
Meg Vaillancourt reports that the Boston City Council has delayed voting on the school reform package proposed by Mayor Ray Flynn, which includes a home rule petition that transfers decision-making power from the Boston School Committee to the superintendent of schools. Reverend Bruce Wall of the Twelfth Baptist Church delivers an invocation before a City Council meeting, presided over by President Bruce Bolling. Some councilors, including Dapper O'Neil, are opposed to the plan. O'Neil criticizes the plan because it gives too much power to the superintendent. Jim Kelly and Joseph Tierney also speak at the meeting. Critics accuse the Boston City Council of delaying their vote on the proposal in order to garner media attention. Interview with Boston School Committee member John Nucci. Vaillancourt notes that school reform is an important issue for voters. Shots of a newspaper article criticizing the City Council. Interview with City Councilor Christopher Ianella, who says that the councilors are practicing "the art of politics" and that they will eventually vote in favor of the proposal. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Callie Crossley reports on a proposal to allow for AIDS testing by insurance companies
- Ten O'Clock News
City Council on school reform
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Iannella, Christopher A., 1913-1992
- Boston (Mass.). School Committee
- Boston (Mass.). City Council
- Municipal government
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- School boards
- City councils
- School superintendents
- Tierney, Joseph M.
- O'Neil, Albert L., 1920-2007
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007
- School management and organization
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, James M., 1940-2007 (Speaker)
- O'Neil, Albert L., 1920-2007 (Interviewee)
- Iannella, Christopher A., 1913-1992 (Speaker)
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; City Council on school reform,” 08/03/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8578E27A88164DD0A41A64F22ABDD848.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; City Council on school reform.” 08/03/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8578E27A88164DD0A41A64F22ABDD848>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; City Council on school reform. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8578E27A88164DD0A41A64F22ABDD848