Ten O'Clock News; Orange Line El Stations
Christopher Lydon reports on the demise of the elevated tracks along the MBTA orange line. The elevated train stations were designed by Alexander Wadsworth Longfellow (nephew of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow) and were once considered the architectural pride of the city's mass transit system. Interview with Margaret Floyd of Tufts University and State Rep. Byron Rushing about the elevated line. Floyd discusses the architecture of the stations. Rushing talks about the architectural and historical significance of the elevated line, and its importance to the community. Interviews with people on the street who give their opinions on the elevated line. Following the edited story is additional b-roll of the elevated line and orange line trains.
- Ten O'Clock News
Orange Line El Stations
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American neighborhoods
- Rushing, Byron
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- South End (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Parmelee, Robin (Reporter)
- Rushing, Byron (Speaker)
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Orange Line El Stations,” 04/30/1987, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 25, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_84936C9145474F49B3A700FF4B5DC1A9.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Orange Line El Stations.” 04/30/1987. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 25, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_84936C9145474F49B3A700FF4B5DC1A9>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Orange Line El Stations. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_84936C9145474F49B3A700FF4B5DC1A9